In the knowledge that Edinburgh is the second-most frequented tourist destination in the UK, before coming i started to think about what i wanted to do for fun in my five months here. Three guidebooks later, i began to compile a list.
But then, to my book-loving-heart’s-only-mild-shock, guidebooks were not enough. I arrived and suddenly Edinburgh’s vitality and quirk was everywhere, so the list started growing. What had once been ten things turned into twenty. Friends who had studies here, new friends who matriculate here currently, and people from all around have been giving me such delightful tidbits on the hidden treasures encased in this city. (And that doesn’t even begin to scratch the surface of my Scotland Outside-of-Edinburgh Bucket List!)
So here, with no further ado, i give you the ever-elongating Edinburgh Bucket List! (Italicized means completed, and i’ll add links to blog posts about completed tasks as i go along!)
The Edinburgh Bucket List:
1. Stroll along Princes Street; purchase cheesy souvenir.
2. Buy and wear a kilt.
3. Take the ferry to Incholm Abbey.
4. Explore Leith and Crammond Village, the seashore side of Edinburgh.
5. Go to the National Museum of Scotland!
6. Visit and listen at St Giles Cathedral.
7. Do the Literary Pub Crawl!
8. Go to the Writer’s Museum.
12. Go to the Modern Art Gallery
15. Picnic on Arthur’s Seat!
16. Go to Holyrood Abbey.
17. Picnic in Princes Street Park!
18. Eat fish & chips at a local chippery.
19. Try Haggis (it was awful!)
20. Go Ceilidh dancing, preferably in new kilt.
22. When missing home, eat at that mysterious KFC on Nicolson Street!
23. Splurge and eat a nice place tucked away on the Royal Mile or some fancy equivalent (like The Witchery).
24. Take high tea.
As it stands, i’ve done 9 of my 24 things. Not a bad start since today marks one month since i left the United States!
So to friends who live or have lived in Edinburgh: what else needs to be on this list? Any great pubs or bands or sites that made your time tremendously unique?
Be sure to stay tuned for my Scotland Bucket List, which shall be published tomorrow!
current jam: the new dj earworm mix!
best thing: 28 days.